Alhamdulillah, My first Barramundi

Tuesday 16 February 2010 0 comments

Asslamualaikum and G'day! After the hard work and dedication I put in, casting from dusk till dawn, willingness to sacrifice to stand in the scorching hot sun and my wife having to tolerate my obsession, I finally and successfully caught a Barramundi. I went to the spot where Zool caught a 3.1kg Barra hoping that I would have the same luck. The lure I decided to go for was a YO-ZURI red-head crystal minnow. Somehow, there were no sign of the fish, instead I was bored out of my mind and sang Britney Spears' "Baby Hit Me One More Time" while reeling my lure in and kinda hoping that the song would lure the fish in. Lol! Half an hour later, I moved to another location. As I arrived to the spot, I noticed the water looked decent as it was black and kinda opaque in color. So I cast my YO-ZURI and again, there were no response. I saw bait fish being chased by and I assumed it was the Tarpons feeding. Since the YO-ZURI were not effective, I took it off and rigged a Rapala knot on a Cultiva top-water pencil lure. Just right after my first cast, I received a splash hitting my lure (My guess at that time was a Tarpon). Kept casting again but this time, I twitched it slowly and BAM!! a STRIKE! Thought it was a Tarpon but when I reeled it in, it felt kinda different. Then I saw the body of the fish and from there I was excited and knew it's the elusive fish. Got it out of the water, weighed it immediately and took some 600g Barramundi photos. And then off he goes to the estuaries. Hopefully he'll grow bigger and I will have the chance to catch him again. Haha! Syukur alhamdulillah, now the Barra is no longer elusive to me! 

 
600g Barra using Cultiva top-water pencil lure with a 15lbs braided line 
and a 30lbs flurocarbon leader.


 Proudly caught Barra

 
 Another angle of the shot

 
 A close up with the Barra

NOTE: Barramundi caught was "Catch and Release"  and "Barra Hit Me One More Time!!" Haha!! 








0 comments: to “ Alhamdulillah, My first Barramundi so far...