Mangrove Jack (Lutjanus argentimaculatus).

Friday 16 October 2009 0 comments

I've always got interested in fishing since I started watching Rex Hunt. So last year, I started to learn how to fish thanks to my brother Sofian who sponsored all the fishing gear including a Lemax rod, Daiwa 4000 reel and a 30lb Power Pro braided line, and also a popper lure. It was kinda tough at first as I didn't catch a fish after around 2 months when I had my first strike. It was a Tarpon, not a big one, just a juvenile but it really lifted my spirits. Another month gone by, I caught a Mangrove Jack (Lutjanus argentimaculatus). It was still a baby (around 400g) but the fight it gave me was incredible. It was there that I fell in love with the Jackaroonie. I even have one in an aquarium which I keep as a pet. MJ ranges from copper, to bronze and dark reddish-brown depending on its age and environment and what I like about 'em is the blue lining on the cheeks just below its eye. So here are some MJ pics that I caught here in Brunei, and hope you like 'em. I will post more about Mangrove Jack and how some Brunei anglers simply do not practice "Catch & Release" method.